5. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
6. And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
7. For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankin
8. But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
9. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
10.Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Lord, we thank You for this new day. Have mercy on us and teach us the way to go, the way to do/say things, and the way to obey. Speak to us this morning, amen.
A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
Luke 6:45 KJV
The tongue is a small organ but it has the ability to destroy. What’s interesting is that the scripture says, the tongue cannot be tamed (v. 8). Yet, it seems as if James is saying that the tongue should be tamed as he says that we should not bless God and curse men with the same tongue.
However, I agree with verse 8. The tongue cannot be tamed. Why? Simply because the tongue isn’t the problem.
Look at the last line of Luke 6:45…”of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks”. The tongue can be a weapon or a tool (for building), but it’s use is dependent upon it’s owner.
Did you know that it’s possible to be feisty in such a way that it makes others laugh and fill them with joy? (This kind of feisty is called a joke.)
It all depends on the heart with which we speak.
We can purpose in our hearts that we will change how we respond to other comments.
But imagine the immense impact that an uncontrollable tongue can have when the heart is completely good.
“Don’t try to tame the tongue.